Monday, August 18, 2008

Pachauri to us commoners-Shut up and starve for the planet while I have my caviar

This is ironical, to say the least-
If the UN has its way, you'll be spending more time in the office and less time on a plane.

At a meeting in the UK this past week, Dr. Rajendra Pachauri, a climate scientist with the United Nations Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC), strongly urged businesses to cut employee travel, and to fill the void with video conferencing.


Of course, Pachauri (Mr.30,000 feet)didn't mean to include himself-
Where I’ve failed is my impact with regard to air travel. I tell people I was born a Hindu who believes in reincarnation. It will take me the next six lives to neutralize my carbon footprint. There’s no way I can do it in one lifetime!


It would be funny but for the fact that he and his merry band of Global Warming Doomsdayers are trying to shut down the very life blood of the modern civilization -affordable, plentiful energy.

No wonder he was the unanimous choice for the 1st LNC Green Hypocrite prize.


Update -

I should have added this gem-
"As for me, I'm going absolutely crazy travelling (laughs). I can only accept 5 to 10 percent of the invitations I receive, but even that is enough to keep me flying continuously. This doesn't make me feel very good but the message has to be spread."(Pachauri in an interview)

I suppose the message cannot be spread by video conferencing he demands of everyone else. At least Gaia should be thankful that he's turning down 90-95% of the invitaions.

Did I mention hypocrite?

(emphasis mine)

0 comments: